About This Blog

Elder Whitney is called to serve in the Arcadia, California mission, English speaking. He enters the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on September 4, 2013 and will serve for two years.

This blog is being maintained by his family to post general updates, pictures from Elder Whitney, and to keep his mailing information up to date. Elder Whitney would love to get letters and emails from everyone!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Oct. 28

I apologize, I missed getting this posted last week.

"This will be a pretty short letter for this week, but I promise to reply to everyone's personal emails in greater detail.

This past week was just straight up weird. Here are some of the weird things that happened:

1. Last Tuesday I was emergency transferred from Glendale to the Creekside ward on the opposite end of the mission. The city name is Walnut, but the ward also covers parts of West Covina and La Puente.

2. I was companions with an Elder Bell for a few days, but today he got transferred out of Creekside.

3. In a few minutes I'll be meeting my new companion, Elder Leavitt. He has only been out 6 weeks longer than myself.

4. Elder Leavitt and I are essentially starting everything over (whitewashing) as if no work has been done in this area. Several AP's and many zone leaders have come out of this ward though, so it used to rock hardcore. 

So, I've basically spent the last 5 days learning how to survive, so that Elder Leavitt and I can learn to thrive. The last few days have been spent riding my bike over as much of the area as I possibly could, knocking on as many doors as we could get to (actually getting to the door here is harder than you would think, not to mention actually getting inside). Luckily, the members here are great and want to help us out. We live with a great family called the Helburgs, and they treat us really well. 

There's a lot we are going to have to learn about the area, and FAST. So, in great humility I ask everyone's prayers for Elder Leavitt and myself; for strength, motivation, and most importantly inspiration from our Heavenly Father to us. We need all the help we can get. 

I love you all, have a great week!

Elder Whitney